Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Homemaker Hilary

With my current job I have a lot of free time in the evenings.  And with Brian in classes until pretty late a few days a week, I have to find things to keep me busy.  I've tried to do a few crafty things lately.  Here is my first attempt at a yarn wreath.







I am planning on making another one that is more summery soon.  My next project was another kind of wreath... but this one is made out of toilet paper rolls. 

My goal is to one day be as talented with crafts as my mom.  But that will probably take my whole lifetime, and still may not be achievable.  We were lucky enough to have my mom come visit us over the weekend of April 20th.  It was a quick trip, but also very productive.  Here are some of the things we got done that weekend:

I found a cool idea on pinterest to help with organizing measuring cups and spoons.  Here is how it turned out:



My mom also was nice enough to make me a really cute skirt.
 It took her no time at all, and I love it!
I think the biggest endeavor of the weekend was our bed.  Brian's uncle gave us a beautiful four-poster bed when we got married.  We have been using it without the poles, though, because two of them wouldn't screw in correctly.  One of them had the screw broken off inside of it, and the other didn't have a base to connect the pole.  It took some creativity at Home Depot, but we were able to improvise and get all four poles to work.  We also had to buy two long, skinny strips of wood because we only had two to connect the poles at the top and bottom of the bed... but we also wanted to connect the sides.  Then we had some fun with fabric, and now we have a princessy-canopy bed.  You might think it's kind of silly, but I like it. (And Brian says he likes it, but I think he's just letting me get my way.  He is so nice to me.) Here it is!

It was great having my mom come visit!  :)

Brian has one more day of classes this week and then finals on Tuesday.  Then he has a whole three weeks off from school before he starts summer classes.  And I only have 7 and a half more weeks before summer vacation! 

1 comment:

  1. The bed looks great--and rather matches your new skirt. How about a picture of you wearing the skirt standing on the bed?

    ReplyDelete